Changing filesink location when file reaches 4gb

hobbesc7 hobbesc7 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 11:24:51 PST 2013

I'm currently writing a stream to a local .h264 file, as well as streaming
live over udp to a remote client.

I need to record for long periods, and am writing to fat32-formatted SD
cards.  When the file reaches 4gb, I'd like to seamlessly switchover to a
new file, i.e. when video1.h264 reaches 4gb, I'd like to start recording to
video2.h264.

I'd like to do this without the user having to stop/start the stream.

This is how my what I'm doing:

filesrc -- > tee --> queue1 --> udpsink
                     --> queue2 --> filesink

Is there a way to change the filesink location property on the fly?  Or if I
use fdsink instead of filesink, could I somehow change the file name on the
fly?

Also, am I going to have to keep track of the file size myself?  How best to
do that?