build from source

Angelica Perduta rsperduta at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 14:34:34 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM, David Hoyt <dhoyt at hoytsoft.org> wrote:

> Typically you'd not want the Microsoft DirectX SDK headers when compiling w/
> gcc. Instead, look for the mingw-w64-provided ones which should be
> compatible.

Not only in this directX plugin but also in my own code I need to use
various Microsoft SDK and potentially other libraries for which there
may not be an up-to-date gcc compatible distribution and definitely no
facility to compile from source.

I get the impression that the incompatibility is purely down to a
different mechanism of handling exceptions, but at the moment I'm not
sure whether to progress with minGW tools, to have another go building
the various parts with the Microsoft development environment, or even
to switch entirely to use the Microsoft Multimedia Foundation API.

For the time being I'm going to shelve my project as it works just
fine with gstreamer 0.10 even if it doesn't produce
Windows-media-player compatible files.

Thanks for all your input it was much appreciated and I might get back
to it, but for now I'm going to follow the advice I saw recommending
to explore some simpler packages with fewer dependencies than
gstreamer.  ;o)