Guidance while adding Closed Caption (CEA-708) support

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com
Wed Jul 3 09:55:23 PDT 2013

Le mercredi 03 juillet 2013 à 10:22 -0600, Steve Maynard a écrit :

> Should I modify mpegvparse to add "user data" to its out-bound caps
> and then add another demuxer of-sorts to split out the user data
> stream for the new CC element?  Or is there yet a better way that
> currently eludes me?

Parser role is to extract metadata, frame the stream, transform the
stream format etc. Demuxer role is to split each stream and send them
over multiple pads. In general, user data is a stream, so it's demuxer
role to demux it and stream it on a separate pads.

Note that when we create new types, we usually respect the x- notation,
so data type should be something like video/x-user-data, that being
said, video/ is probably not opaque enough to represent user-data in
general.

Nicolas