querying the current latency of a pipeline

Yonit Halperin yhalperi at redhat.com
Fri Jul 12 08:09:41 PDT 2013

Hi,

I want to use gstreamer in order to play audio frames I receive from the
network.
I would like to dynamically modify the latency of the playback and pause
the playback for buffering when needed.

I'm using appsrc and autoaudiosink. I'm trying to find a way to
calculate the overall latency of the pipeline.
Latency queries, always return the same values (e.g., 0 for min-latency).
I wanted to use a queue after appsrc in order to control buffering,
but since appsrc also queues buffers, I'm not sure it is the best idea.
Suppose that I would use my own queue before pushing buffers to appsrc,
how can I retrieve the total amount of buffers that are currently queued
in between the appsrc and the sink (inclusive)?

Thanks,
Yonit.