why gst-ffmpeg/gst-libav replaces FFmpeg with libav in 1.0?

Sebastian Dröge slomo at circular-chaos.org
Wed Jul 17 00:23:01 PDT 2013

On Mi, 2013-07-17 at 03:03 +0000, Yin, Yan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m looking for the reasons why the change is done, however no clue
> yet by Google.
>
> I believe there is once a hot discussion on this, can anybody help
> point me a hint? thanks!

Hi,

IIRC the reason to switch to libav was that they actually do proper,
regular releases and give some kind of API/ABI stability guarantee. Also
they do bugfix releases and care about security bugs.

Which is also the reason why for example Debian switched to libav
instead. It's keeping the maintenance burden lower.