why gst-ffmpeg/gst-libav replaces FFmpeg with libav in 1.0?

Yin, Yan yan.yin at intel.com
Thu Jul 18 18:30:43 PDT 2013

Thank you all for the help!

Yes, we did find most distro (Debian/Ubuntu/Gentoo) has switched to libav, the same for gst-libav.
Besides the maintenance goodness libav beating over ffmpeg, any other technical benefits in performance/stability or roadmap difference?

Sad to know the discussion happens only in IRC, it would be better to have it documented somewhere for this kind of important changes, a small suggestion :-)

Regards,
Yin, Yan