Streaming Video from Computer to Android

davidlopez davidalopez1989 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 14:10:23 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm working on a robotics project where I need to stream live video from an
embedded computer to an Android app. I started off by following this
tutorial:
http://jumpnowtek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81:gumstix-dsp-gstreamer&catid=35:gumstix&Itemid=67

Basically what we end up with is on the server we run this command from the
terminal:

gst-launch -v v4l2src ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480 ! TIVidenc1
codecName=h264enc engineName=codecServer ! rtph264pay pt=96 ! udpsink
host=192.168.10.4 port=4000

and on the client side we run this command from the terminal:

gst-launch-0.10 -v udpsrc port=4000 caps='application/x-rtp,
media=(string)video, clock-rate=(int)90000, encoding-name=(string)H264,
sprop-parameter-sets=(string)\"Z0KAHukBQHpCAAAH0AAB1MAIAA\\=\\=\\,aM48gAA\\=\"'
! rtph264depay ! ffdec_h264 ! xvimagesink sync=false

And the video streaming works just fine with almost zero lag.

To build the android client end, I went through the gstreamer for android
tutorials, and in order to test it I simply replaced

data->pipeline = gst_parse_launch("videotestsrc ! warptv ! ffmpegcolorspace
! autovideosink", &error);

with:

data->pipeline = gst_parse_launch("udpsrc port=4000
caps=\"application/x-rtp, media=(string)video, clock-rate=(int)90000,
encoding-name=(string)H264,
sprop-parameter-sets=(string)\\\"Z0KAHukBQHpCAAAH0AAB1MAIAA\\\\=\\\\=\\\\,aM48gAA\\\\=\\\"\"
! rtph264depay ! decodebin2 ! autovideosink", &error);

with the addition of also adding extra plugins in the Android.mk file, in
the tutorial 3 android sample project

When I test this code, I can see the video stream coming in, and I don't
think the video is necessarily delayed but it the image is only refreshed
about once every 2 seconds making the video very choppy and useless for the
purpose of this project.

Not really sure where to look into as I'm completely new to Gstreamer, but
hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
David