Problem with H.264 from non seekable sources

Giovanni Coriasco giovanni.coriasco.ml at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 07:13:15 PDT 2013

Dear all,
I have a strange problem while playing H.264 content from non seekable
sources like souphttpsrc. I got the following error:

gst-launch-0.10 souphttpsrc location=
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2480181/bigbuckbunny.mp4 ! decodebin2
name=decode decode. ! autovideosink decode. ! autoaudiosink

Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
ERROR: from element
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstDecodeBin2:decode/GstH264Parse:h264parse0: No
valid frames found before end of stream
Additional debug info:
gstbaseparse.c(1110): gst_base_parse_sink_eventfunc ():
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstDecodeBin2:decode/GstH264Parse:h264parse0
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...

If I try to play the same content from local REGULAR file using for example
filesrc, everything goes fine.
But, if I use filesrc with a location pointing to a local named pipe (which
is not seekable), I encounter the same error.

I'm having the same exact problem with both Linux and Windows Gstreamer.

Besides, if I try something like

gst-launch-0.10 souphttpsrc location=
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2480181/bigbuckbunny.mp4 ! filesink
location=bigbuckbunny.mp4

and then

gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=bigbuckbunny.mp4 ! decodebin2 name=decode
decode. ! autovideosink decode. ! autoaudiosink

then everything is played fine again.

I also implemented my own gstreamer source and the only way to use that
source in a pipeline like these is to implement it as seekable (but this is
giving me a lot of implementation troubles I would like to avoid).

Is there someone who can give me an idea on how to play that content coming
from a NON seekable source?

Thanks in advance

Giovanni