mpeg4 hardware encoder.

Steve Cookson steve.cookson at sca-uk.com
Mon Jun 24 07:17:58 PDT 2013

Hi Guys,

I have a Dazzle DVC100 which outputs mpeg4, or so I understand.

I use v4l2src to access it like this:

gst-launch -e v4l2src device=/dev/video1 ! videorate ! video/x-raw-yuv,
framerate=30000/1001 ! \
videoscale  ! ffmpegcolorspace ! tee name=t \
t. ! queue ! xvimagesink \
t. ! queue ! theoraenc ! oggmux ! filesink location=video.ogg

It works fine apart from the lag which is about 100ms, which I would like to
be less.

It seems to me that "videorate ! video/x-raw-yuv" is not correct, or at
least not efficient.  Wouldn't that mean it has to convert from mpeg4 to
raw-yuv and then back again?

What I'm looking for it the video/mpeg4 equivalent, but I don't see it.

What should I be doing different?

Regards

Steve