H264 Elementary playback

Deepak Jain jain1982 at gmail.com
Tue May 14 03:07:03 PDT 2013

Hi All,

I am using GStreamer 1.0.

I am having a AnnexB H.264 Elementary Stream (ES) File.

I am playing the file with the below command using gst-launch.

# gst-launch-1.0 -v filesrc location=1.h264 ! queue !
video/x-h264,width=1280,height=720,framerate=25/1 ! avdec_h264  !
xvimagesink

The problem is that the video plays but it keeps stuck on the first frame
and the player quits after some 5-6 secs. Also the first frame is not
clear, it is garbled one.

This elementary stream has approx 160-170 frames and it plays perfectly for
approx 7-8 secs on windows VLC player.

The same elementary stream also plays perfectly with ffplay, although a bit
faster may be due to faster frame rate.

Now coming back to Gstreamer, what could be the problem here. Is their any
problem with the created pipeline?

Or it can be any problem related to timestamps, since audio is not
present...and may be the video is looking for audio timestamp...Just
guessing:(

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Deepak