How to install a plugin to the installed SDK?

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Tue May 21 05:08:11 PDT 2013

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 10:16 PM, Haiming Wang <whm_buaa at hotmail.com> wrote:

> HI Buddies,
>
>    Recent days I'm trying the GStreamer Windows SDK.  When I tried to
> build  a h264+rtcp+udp sender pipeline,   I found x264enc is not built
> in the latest windows SDK.
>
>     Then I decide try to build the x264 plugin myself.
>
>  I  download the OSSBuild project, and fortunately the build passed.   Now
> I want to install x264 plugin to my installed SDK. I tried to copy
> x264.dll, x264.lib to some directory under the installed SD directory, but
> did't succeed. When I use gst-inspect x264enc,  it still can not find it.
>
>   Any one can tell me what should I do?
>
>   Thank you very much for your help in advance!

You have several ways:
1) gst-inspect-0.10 /path/to/plugindir/x264.dll, which will inspect the
file directly
2) gst-inspect-0.10 --gst-plugin-load=/path/to/plugindir/x264.dll x264enc,
which will load the plugin, then let you inspect elements contained in it
3) set GST_PLUGIN_PATH=/path/to/plugindir, which gst-inspect and gst-launch
will then search for plugins

I don't think you should encounter any API/ABI problems, but if you do I'd
suggest building x264 using cerbero, as recipes for x264 have recently been
added, and it's actually quite easy to do. This also means the next release
of the SDK should include x264, though it remains to be seen if there will
even be another 0.10 release; I'd suggest you move to 1.0 at the earliest
possible moment since 0.10 is no longer maintained.

-Josh