gst_element_seek() when the pipeline has an appsink - bug?

Paddy pat.blanchon at gmail.com
Wed May 22 10:55:21 PDT 2013

Hi,

I have a simple (gstreamer-0.10) pipeline:
filesrc --> decodebin2 -->appsink
which feeds into another pipeline:
appsrc --> ffmpegcolorspace --> autovidesink

When both are set to playing it works pretty much as I'd expect, however
when I try & use gst_element_seek() on the source pipeline it simply doesn't
work.

Using gst_element_seek(pipeline, 1.0, GST_FORMAT_TIME, GST_SEEK_FLAG_FLUSH
|GST_SEEK_FLAG_SKIP,
                                 GST_SEEK_TYPE_SET, t_sec * GST_SECOND,
                                 GST_SEEK_TYPE_NONE, GST_CLOCK_TIME_NONE)
does not generate an error but all output stops for t_sec seconds (even the
debug at GST_DEBUG=*:5 stops) - then the playback continues from the point
I'd seeked to.

Similarly gst_element_seek(pipeline, speed, GST_FORMAT_TIME,
GST_SEEK_FLAG_FLUSH,
                                    GST_SEEK_TYPE_NONE, GST_CLOCK_TIME_NONE,
                                    GST_SEEK_TYPE_NONE, GST_CLOCK_TIME_NONE)
results in a playback speed of 1.0 regardless of what is asked for.

Removing the appsink/appsrc so the pipeline becomes
filesrc --> decodebin2 --> ffmpegcolorspace --> autovidesink
works as expected in both use cases.

Is this a bug/limitation - or did I do something wrong ?

Cheers