Status of GPU accelerated decoding

Tony Houghton h at realh.co.uk
Sat Nov 2 09:34:58 PDT 2013

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 14:06:25 +0000
Tim Müller <tim at centricular.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-11-02 at 13:40 +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:
>
> Hi Tony,
>
> > I want to write a video player with gstreamer, and one of the
> > requirements is being able to play HD material with a low-power CPU. I
> > was disappointed to find that neither vdpau nor vaapi have been fully
> > ported to 1.2 yet, and I don't want to send myself down a dead-end by
> > using 0.10.
>
> gst-vaapi master branch includes support for 1.2 now if I'm not
> mistaken.

That's what I thought I'd read, but I was getting an error from
autogen.sh because it was trying to use an obsolete API
(gstreamer-basevideo). I found a recent message which suggested using
--with-gstreamer-api=1.2 which has solved that hurdle.

I've got a new problem now (trying to build the Debian package):

.libs/plugins-scan.o: In function `get_object_types':
/home/tony/src/gstreamer-vaapi/docs/reference/plugins/plugins-scan.c:22: undefined reference to `gst_vaapipostproc_get_type'

That looks like I might be able to work around it by disabling the
building of docs, but in case not and/or I have further problems, is
this the best place to ask for help with gstreamer-vaapi or should I try
emailing Gwenole Beauchesne directly?