Streaming film audio in a public place...

Chris Dymond chris at dymond.com
Thu Nov 7 08:03:45 PST 2013

Hi all,

I wonder if I can ask the gstreamer community about an idea / technical challenge that came up in a meeting I was in the other day.

I work in partnership with the Sheffield International Documentary Festival, who are looking to work with the British Film Institute on ways to reach new audiences with documentary film. Someone suggested showing films in public places that would normally be difficult, either because they are too noisy, such as shopping malls, or too quiet, such as libraries. However, if you could provide a service whereby the audio is streamed to an app on the audience members' phones it would open such venues up for showing films.

So I'm wondering: has anyone ever done anything like this before? And could the gstreamer framework be used to build a service like this? What do people reckon?

I really appreciate any comment or advice,

Best,

Chris D.

PS: I hope this is the right place to post a query like this one, please correct me if it isn't!

-----
web: chrisdymond.com
twitter: @chrisdymond