Current Position of Stream at receiver side in RTP

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Wed Nov 13 11:53:28 PST 2013

The RTP timestamp should reflect when the packet was put into the RTP
payload (or perhaps when initially encoded) and should also be based on
90,000 Hz sample rate, baring dropped packets. You could compute the time
from the first received timestamp until the current, but you would have to
account for rollover, which happens pretty quickly. However, this doesn't
give any indication of how long the video sequence is, you only know how
much you have received, not what percentage of the total. If you want that
you would need to communicate the total length out of band, which would be
easy enough to do.