problem with synchronization between multiple audio clients

Mario Montagud Climent mamontor at posgrado.upv.es
Thu Nov 14 01:25:33 PST 2013

Dear Javier,

I am also interested in the development of a system as the one you
described in your mail, using RTP/RTCP and GStreamer.

Answering to your question, the specification of the RTP/RTCP (RFC
3550) does not support the functionality you are interested in.
However, our research group has designed an Inter-Destination Media
Synchronization (IDMS) solution, which is based on the use and
extension of RTP/RTCP protocols, and is being standardized within the
IETF (see https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-idms/).
This IDMS solution is targeted to enable synchronized playout across
geographically distributed rendering platforms.

I implemented this IDMS solution in Network Simulator 2 (NS-2). Now, I
also want to do so in Gstreamer to be able to conduct user perception
(QoE) tests in real scenarios.

If you want to know more details about our IDMS solution, you can
check our upcoming IETF standard and the following recent papers:

[Mon13] M. Montagud, F. Boronat, H. Stokking, Early Event-Driven (EED)
RTCP Feedback for Rapid IDMS, The 21st ACM International Conference on
Multimedia (ACM MM 2013), Barcelona (Spain), 2013 (October 21-25).

[Mon12]  M. Montagud, F. Boronat, H. Stokking, R. van Brandenburg,
Inter-Destination Multimedia Synchronization; Schemes, Use Cases and
Standardization, Multimedia Systems Journal (Springer), 18(6),
459-482, November 2012.

I posted a mail to this list a few months ago, but I was waiting for
the release of GStreamer 1.2.0 to begin with the implementation tasks.
The main reason was, as mentioned by Tim, the new features that have
been recently added to gst-rtsp-server: multicast support and
distribution of clock sync info (both base time and time provider to
sync to). These two functionalities are very important for enabling
IDMS.

Also, the videos of the talks by Win Taymans and Edward Hervey will be
very useful to help understanding these concepts. Btw, will the videos
of the GStreamer Conference 2013 be posted soon?

Recently, Thomas Roos and Win Taymans added a patch to solve an issue
regarding the RTCP timing rules and the behavior of clients when
receiving the first RTCP packet. The implementation of the RFC6051
(Rapid Synchronisation of RTP Flows) was also planned for this year.
Both issues are also important for IDMS!

To my understanding, other important aspects are: the jitter buffer
configuration, the ts-offset attribute, and the sink method.

I plan to begin the implementation tasks next month, according to the
schedule of my PhD thesis.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Mario Montagud