Questions regarding GstVideoOverlay and about-to-finish for Seamless application

Joshua Kurland joshua.kurland at adtecdigital.net
Tue Nov 19 15:01:36 PST 2013

Hello,

I'm working on a video list player that will run on an Freescale ARM board
(imx6).  I would like to make the video transitions as seamless as
possible.  The default transition time is around five seconds, I managed to
bring that down to less than a half a second.  I think I can get that down
even more but I am a bit stuck.

When the pipeline sees the end of the video, it has to stop and load the
next URI.  When this happens, the display window also breaks down.  When
the pipeline plays the next video it must open a new window, which takes a
noticeable amount of time.  I just moved from using version 0.10 to 1.x
(support is finally coming out for the board!) and I would to use
GstVideoOverlay to manage the window issue, but I am having trouble
determining exactly what is needed to do that.  I know the sink element
(mfw_isink) so I think I can just use
gst_video_overlay_set_window_handle(), but I don't know HOW I need to use
it.  Would anyone be able to explain it to me like I am a child?  It would
be much appreciated.

I also tried experimenting with the about-to-finish signal.  I was able to
use this signal in version 0.10 to do my switching successfully (although
still not seamless).  With the upgrade to 1.21, with the same code running
I never go to the about-to-finish callback.  Was this once again disabled
in the latest version of gstreamer?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Josh Kurland