Play Audio in Background on iOS

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Nov 26 00:09:44 PST 2013

On Mo, 2013-11-25 at 13:19 -0800, Scott Kidder wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm interested in writing an iOS application that can play audio received
> over RTP.  I began with the excellent iOS tutorials, and have succeeded in
> playing streaming audio with great results.
>
> I'd like to play audio in the background, just as you would have when
> playing music with the iPod application or other streaming music apps
> (Spotify, Pandora, etc).  What I've seen is that audio playback always
> stops as soon as the home button is pressed (currently all testing is
> occurring with iOS 6 in the XCode simulator).
>
> Are there any suggestions for background playback on iOS with gstreamer?
> [...]

You have to make sure your application works in background mode, see
this for some pointers:
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/iphone/conceptual/iphoneosprogrammingguide/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007072-CH4-SW20

--
Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com>