Xcode 4.6.3 GStreamer 1.2.0 linker error

Michael McNamara mmcnamara at control4.com
Mon Oct 21 23:37:52 CEST 2013

Hi All,

I'm attempting to build a project for iOS / iOS Simulator with Xcode 4.6.3 using GStreamer 1.2.0:

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/ios/

and am dying with the following linker error:

~/Library/Developer/GStreamer/iPhone.sdk/GStreamer.framework/GStreamer(libcairo_a_i386_-cairo.o), archive member 'libcairo_a_i386_-cairo.o' with length 37376 is not mach-o or llvm bitcode for architecture i386

I thought perhaps a mis-lipo'd version of this lib had made it into the above distribution based on the error, so I decided to check into it.  I did a lipo –thin on both architectures (i386 and armv7) and then used ar to extract the respective archives.  Checking with otool on the libcairo object files, both seem to be correct:

$ otool -hv libcairo_a_i386_-cairo.o
libcairo_a_i386_-cairo.o: is an LLVM bit-code file

$ otool -hv libcairo_a_armv7_-cairo.o
libcairo_a_armv7_-cairo.o: is an LLVM bit-code file

Which flies in the face of the linker error above.  I'm totally stumped.  I tried Xcode 5 on the same project and don't seem to have any issues.  To answer the obvious question, I'm not currently in a spot where I cannot use Xcode 5 unfortunately.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be the case?  Any advice or guidance would be most appreciated!