gst-plugins-bad: sndfile: don' t decode formats that are better handled by other elements

Stefan Sauer ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Wed Aug 27 09:17:35 PDT 2014

On 08/25/2014 04:33 PM, Tim-Philipp Müller wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-08-25 at 15:58 +0200, Stefan Sauer wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>>> sndfile: don't decode formats that are better handled by other elements
>>>
>>> In particular: flac, ogg, pcm, au, aiff, wav.
>> Is the lower rank not enough? Whats the exact problem this fixes (it is
>> not clear from the bug and description to me).
> Is there a positive case to be made that this element should handle any
> of these formats? It will likely do a poorer job for all of them.
>
> It doesn't fix any specific problem, but seems a good idea to me from a
> maintenance/QA point of view.
>
> I don't see a non-hypothetical scenario where it wouldn't be more
> desirable to get the other elements installed instead.
I'd liked that you can get playback support for quite a few formats with
a single element (+ the lib). That could be a way to trim a binary dist
that is shipped with an app. And for plain playback and metadata
scanning the element should do well.

> One problem is that if this element has a lower rank, one of the proper
> plugins that are supposed to handle the format in question is not going
> to be auto-installed via the plugin install mechanism, and/or the user
> is never alerted to the fact that the proper one is missing. This might
> give people the impression that 'GStreamer plays xyz poorly'. or
> 'GStreamer doesn't handle xyz' (because sfdec doesn't support xyz, such
> as mp3/dts in wav perhaps).
Thats a good point indeed. Not a big deal anyway, I was just not sure
about the motivation from the commit description.

Stefan