Clockoverlay + fractional part of the seconds

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu Feb 13 12:47:21 PST 2014

On Do, 2014-02-13 at 11:27 +0100, Mario Montagud Climent wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am using clockoverlay in my streaming scenario (gst-launch-1.0). It
> works fine using the following time-format="%H:%M:%S", but my
> intention is to also display the fractional part of the seconds (at
> least ms).
>
> According to gst-inspect, the time format is as in strftime, so I've
> tried using both:
>
> time-format="%H:%M:%S.%L" (%L - Millisecond of the second (000..999)),

It doesn't look like POSIX defines a format specifier for sub-second
parts, especially glibc does not implement any:
https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Formatting-Calendar-Time.html#Formatting-Calendar-Time

clockoverlay is really just calling strftime() for getting a string of
the time, so it can only do what that can do.

Where did you find %L for milliseconds?

Expertise, Straight from the Source