What is the alignment capability in video/x-h264

pfarmer flacone at gmx.de
Sat Feb 22 04:47:36 PST 2014

On 02/19/2014 06:37 PM, Tim Müller [via GStreamer-devel] wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 05:38 -0800, pfarmer wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Thank you very much!
> >
> > That was a very helpful information!
> >
> > Just as an information:
> >
> > These are the caps as reported by testing with fakesrc/fakesink and
> > video/x-h264 capsfilter
> >
> > stream-format:byte-stream || stream-format:avc
> > au | nal || : au | nal
> >
> > gsteamer-1.0
> >   x264enc: y | n || y | n
> >   rtph264pay: y | y || y | n
> >   rtph264depay:  y | y || y | n
> >   avdec_h264: y | n || n | n
> >
> > So it seems that nal alignment is not (not yet) possible with the
> > gstreamer-1.0 implementations (v1.2.0 Ubuntu 64 13.10)
>
> What's not "possible" exactly?
It is not possible to output NALU aligned buffers from the x264enc
element (as it wasn't in gstreamer0.10 either). It is also not possible
to give NALU aligned buffers to the avdec_h264 element.
The reason is that I want to built my own packetizer for another
transport protocol. For this, it would be sufficient/easier to get the
NALUS directly.

> > gsteamer-0.10
> >   x264enc: y | n || y |  n
> >   rtph264pay:  y | y || y | y
> >   rtph264depay: y | y || n | n
> >   ffdec_h264: y | y || y | y
> >
> > I have not yet examined the source code if it is only a caps filtering
> > problem or if the functionality is really not implemented.
>
> AVC is always au-aligned, so anything else doesn't make sense there. In
> 1.0 we generally require parser before decoders now, which explains the
> change in avdec_h264.

Yes, true: It makes not much sense that avc is NALU aligned. AVC is the
box type avcC (Advanced Video Coding Configuration Box) of ISO/IEC
14496-15:2004, if I understood it correctly. Thus it is adding some sort
of container format to find the various NALUs in one gst-buffer.