Zero copy to OpenGLES texture

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Feb 25 14:27:37 PST 2014

On Di, 2014-02-25 at 21:58 +0000, Chris Tapp wrote:
> Are there any examples showing how to use a video frame as an OpenGLES 2 texture without copying the image using glTexImage2d?
>
> I've got access to the egl image extensions (eglCreateImageKHR), etc., but I can't work out how to convert the buffer into a texture.
>
> As a further complication, it looks as if the target hardware doesn't support pixmaps - if it did, eglCreatePixmapSurfaceHI would probably be the way to go.
>
> Is there some way to wrap a pointer to the frame in a buffer to give either a pbuffer or VGImage which I can then pass to eglCreateImageKHR?
>
> I'm using Gstreamer 0.10 as 1.0 isn't available for the target.

Take a look at gst-omx and eglglessink (from gst-plugins-bad). On the
Raspberry Pi those together can exchange EGLImages and render them
zero-copy.

In general this will be fairly straightforward with 1.x these days, in
0.10 it's going to be rather painful unfortunately.

Expertise, Straight from the Source