RTSP Multicast Scenario Setup

Mario Montagud Climent mamontor at posgrado.upv.es
Fri Feb 28 08:07:14 PST 2014

Dear all,

I'm testing with the gst-rtsp-server (branch 1.2.3). In unicast mode,
the provided examples work very nice (RTSP, SDP, RTP and RTCP)!
However, I had no success with the multicast mode.

I've checked that in the provided multicast examples (e.g.,
test-multicast) a multicast address pool is created. So, my question
is: how can I launch a multicast client that will receive the RTP
stream/s through one of the configured multicast addresses?

At the client side I run: ./test-multicast, and at the receiver side
(different machines) I run:  gst-launch-1.0 -v rtspsrc
location="rtsp://ip_rtsp_server:8554/test" ! rtph264depay ! avdec_h264
! autovideosink

The audio/video streams are played out (also using VLC). However, I
can only see unicast RTP/RTCP packets in Wireshark, and I want a
shared multicast stream (224.x.x.x) for the different clients, what am
I doing wrong?

I've tried by setting mcast-iface=ethX and
protocols=GST_RTSP_LOWER_TRANSP_UDP_MCAST properties in rtspsrc, but
no success!

I've also tested a multicast scenario with VLC and it works, so I
guess it is a problem of my network.

I would really appreciate your feedback!

Best Regards,

Mario