Echo acoustic on iOS device

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sat Jul 5 02:14:59 PDT 2014

On Sa, 2014-07-05 at 10:43 +0200, Elio Francesconi wrote:
> Hi all,
> thanks to your supposrt I’ve released a voip application based on GStreamer :-) https://itunes.apple.com/it/app/ipdoor/id881935787?mt=8
> Unfortunately our customer are complaining about acoustic echo on iPad devices.

Thanks for letting us know, that's good news :) More GStreamer apps in
the app store, or at least more we know about ;)

> I’m using GStreamer version 1.2.4 and I’ve added a schema about my two pipelines, it seems osxaudiosink and osxaudiosrc generate a bad acoustic echo,
>
> Someone has experience on such kind of issues?
> [...]

What kind of echo is this? Is the microphone capturing the speaker
output again, i.e. are sender and receiver close enough for that to
work? Do you also get an echo if you write to a file instead of directly
outputting it on the speakers?

If it's the normal echo you get when capturing what your speakers
output, and then output that captured audio again... then you need to
insert an echo cancellation filter somewhere in your application between
the capture and output. Which might be a bit tricky because capture and
output is on different devices in your case.

Expertise, Straight from the Source