Encoding and streaming video+audio to UDP

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com
Wed Jul 30 06:42:36 PDT 2014

Le mercredi 30 juillet 2014 à 04:21 -0700, dmitrijs2005 a écrit :
> Hm, I suppose zero latency does the opposite - reduces quality
> http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Encoding_Suggestions
> Am I wrong?

True. zerolatency will cause at least initial frames to be blocky, and
might reduce quality during movement (but will get rid of encoding
latency). When a video is blocky, it is often that the bitrate is too
low. This isn't a rule, as the minimum bitrate for an acceptable visual
quality depends on all the other parameters. Most people I have met have
created static profiles (quality step) by tweaking. Latency requirement
is normally orthogonal to quality. In VOIP it's often a requirement (not
a choice).

Nicolas