mp4mux faststart-file question

Thiago Santos ts.santos at sisa.samsung.com
Wed May 7 02:11:11 PDT 2014

On 05/07/2014 05:04 AM, lestoilfante wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have a question about mp4mux. In my test scenario mp4mux is running
> with faststart=true faststart-file=/media/test.mp4_TEMP ! filesink
> location=/media/test.mp4 , as you can see same path is used because
> target machine doesn't have enough ram to handle faststart-file in memory.
>
> So in this case test.mp4_TEMP will be renamed or moved to filesink
> location?
No, the filesink is responsible for writing to the /media/test.mp4 and
mp4mux doesn't even know which destination the filesink is writing to.
And the temporary file doesn't contain a full valid mp4 file.

A mp4 faststart file must have its headers before the streams data (moov
before mdat) and mp4mux can only generate a complete moov when it has
all streams data, so it uses a scratch area (the temporary file) to
store the streams data and when it gets EOS on all streams (all streams
are done) it will generate the headers (moov), push downstream and then
start pushing the data it stored to the temporary file.

> Thank you

Thiago Sousa Santos
Senior Multimedia Engineer, Open Source Group
Samsung Research America - Silicon Valley