How do caps arrive before the buffer in gstreamer 1.x?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu May 8 05:14:57 PDT 2014

On Mi, 2014-05-07 at 22:16 -0700, vks7979 wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In Gstreamer 1.x we get the caps before the buffer arrives to the sink
> element. This feature seems to be unavailable in the gstreamer 0.x. What
> logic/method is used to achieve this?
>
> I need to set the caps of my sink element before the buffer arrives on it.
> How do I achieve this on gstreamer 0.10? What changes are required for this?

In 1.x the caps are set independently of the buffer dataflow with the
CAPS event. In 0.10 the caps are part of the buffers and only propagate
on buffers through the pipeline.

You can probably hack around that in 0.10 by having an initial empty
buffer with the caps, but the real solution is just to update to 1.x.

Expertise, Straight from the Source