profiling elements

Chris Whittenburg whittenburg at gmail.com
Fri May 9 07:11:39 PDT 2014

I have a pipeline of eight or so elements, and I would like to profile the
pipeline to tell the latency caused by each element.

My thought is to place an identity element before and after the element (or
multiple elements) that I am measuring.  Then use the buffer's offset to
identify and timestamp the same video frame going in and coming out.

Is there anything wrong with this method?  Is there a better method?  I
ready about querying latency, but that seems to be worse case latency, not
the value at a given instance.

Thanks,
Chris