Buffer Timestamping and matching the buffer running time to GstClock of pipeline

Thiago Santos ts.santos at sisa.samsung.com
Tue May 20 09:05:47 PDT 2014

On 05/20/2014 09:06 AM, Manoj89 wrote:
> Hi,
>     Can anybody give me an example how we can do the buffer time stamping and
> match the buffer running time to the GstClock of the pipeline.
Can you explain what are you trying to do? I don't understand if you
want to timestamp buffers with running time (live source?) or if you
want to timestamp buffers and then compare to the running time. Anyway
these kind of things are usually handled in the base classes (basesrc
and basesink) and it is a very good idea to use them.

If you want to understand how timing and synchronization work in
gstreamer I'd recommend reading part-synchronization from
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/tree/docs/design and
also watching this interesting talk by Edward Hervey during last year's
Gstreamer Conference:
http://gstconf.ubicast.tv/videos/time-and-synchronization-for-dummies-yesyou/

> --

Thiago Sousa Santos
Senior Multimedia Engineer, Open Source Group
Samsung Research America - Silicon Valley