Latency reduction for gstreamer

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Tue May 27 06:42:20 PDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-05-26 at 12:36 +0000, Stephan.Urbach at elektrobit.com wrote:

Hi Stephan,

> I stream under Windows a .mp4 video with VLC via rtsp and receive the
> stream with gstreamer. I have noticed a large latency between the
> sending and the receiving video.
>
> I‘m using the following command line for receiving: gst-launch-1.0
> playbin uri=rtsp://127.0.0.1:8554/
>
> Are there options to reduce the latency in gtreamer?

How large is 'a large latency'?

You can set the "latency" property on rtspsrc (which is 2 seconds by
default) to something smaller. In code you would do that using the
'setup-source' signal callback of playbin. With gst-launch-1.0:

gst-launch-1.0 -v playbin uri=rtsp://127.0.0.1:8554/test \
                    uridecodebin0::source::latency=250

 Cheers
  -Tim