Mixing two sources with Adder

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri May 30 00:55:41 PDT 2014

On Mi, 2014-05-28 at 09:09 +0200, Frédéric Praca wrote:
> Hello guys,
> I would like to use two PulseAudio sources, one from the microphone and
> one from a pipe using PulseAudio module-pipe-source.
> In my Gstreamer pipeline, I use adder to "mix" the two sources.
> The problem is that as long as the pipe source has not provided data,
> the pipeline is blocked.
> I was expecting the pipeline to deal with the microphone meanwhile,
> even if I didn't write any data in the pipe.
> Is there a way to mix two sources without blocking on one ?

Currently it's not possible easily as adder (and everything collectpads
based) will wait until data is available on all pads.

There are some plans to improve this, especially for live streams, but
no timeline for that yet.

For now you could only link the sources to the adder (also better use
audiomixer) when they actually produce data, and remove them when they
don't again.

Expertise, Straight from the Source