What To Do With Configure/Make Problem In gst-plugins-xxxx-0.10.36 Modules

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Sun Oct 5 08:37:50 PDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-10-05 at 10:57 -0400, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:

Hi Alan,

> I'm new to this list, so please bear with me if this is old ground.
>
> I'm compiling from source all the gst-plugins-xxxxx-0.10.36 modules for
> use with whatever programs want them in my LinuxFromScratch
> installation. In compiling gst-plugins-good-0.10.31 I found that make
> fails under these configure switch scenarios:
>
> Using the --enable-gtk-doc switch
> Not using the --disable-gst-v4l2 switch for Video4Linux
>
> I understand that 0.10 is deprecated in favor of 1.4, but many programs
> still seem to want the earlier version.
>
> In no case do the above problems cause me much of a problem, so far as I
> can see, but I'm fairly new to the Linux development community and I
> just don't know. My suspicion is that I should just forget about them.
>
> If anyone thinks the above are issues to be solved, what should I do?
> Submit a bug?

Most open source applications have been ported to the new 1.x API by
now, and most of those which haven't been ported are probably not
maintained any longer.

When you report an error, esp. a compilation/configure error, it is
usually helpful to report the actual error message or terminal output.

>From what you write I'm guessing there's an issue with v4l2 compilation?
You might need this patch with newer kernels:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-good/commit/sys/v4l2?id=8e633d2059cb835448021cf79becb487aff10975

Please don't report 0.10 bugs to us, they are only going to be looked at
if they still apply to a recent 1.x version.

Cheers
 -Tim