green artifacts at start, h264 rtsp

Jan Schmidt jan at centricular.com
Wed Oct 15 01:33:22 PDT 2014

On 09/10/14 02:01, Swen Kooij wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> We’re using the gstreamer rtsp plugin (gst-rtsp-server) and gst-launch
> to play a H.264 video stream from a security camera. We’ve configured
> the RTSP server to share the streams.
>
> However, when I open a stream using gst-launch, I observe a green
> overlay (looks like artifacts) that is displayed for about 1-2 seconds
> and then the stream becomes visible and everything is normal and there
> are no artifacts during the remainder of the stream.

This is generally because in order to start faster, gst-libav will
output 'corrupted' video frames at the beginning. That happens when the
first data it receives is not a keyframe. It starts decoding the data it
has, and the video will become less corrupted over time - such as at the
next keyframe, or there might never be a keyframe with intra-refresh H.264.

The only way to avoid it at the moment is a pad probe at the video sink.
Check the CORRUPTED flag on the video buffer, and drop corrupted buffers
at the start, however that has a cost in terms of how soon the pipeline
switches to 'playing' state - that can't happen until the sink receives
at least one decoded buffer.

- Jan.