Getting hardware decoder in GStreamer SDK to use in iOS8.

sithruk sana get2jils at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 06:30:38 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I was looking for a way to use hardware decoder in iOS8 in the  gstreamer
pipeline.

I have followed below approach:

1) Downloaded the package from

     http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/ios/1.4.3/   and installed
in the mac machine [ mac version 10.9.4]

2) I have managed to compile sample code in Xcode, and i was using the
below pipeline components for decoding RTP packets in the steaming channel.

      udpsrc port=5000 ! application/x-rtp, clock-rate=90000,
encoding-name=(string)H264, payload=96  ! rtph264depay ! vtdec!
autovideosink sync=true

3) Unfortunately it could not find vtdec or  vtdec_h264 component.

4) To check if hardware decoder plugin inside the library, xplored little
bit on the installaed Package:

The below is the output of otool  over Gstreamer Mach-O universal binary
with 3 architectures.

GStreamer(libgstapplemedia_a_armv7_-libgstapplemedia_la-corevideobuffer.o)
(architecture armv7):

    GStreamer(libgstapplemedia_a_armv7_-libgstapplemedia_la-atdec.o)
(architecture armv7):

    GStreamer(libgstapplemedia_a_armv7_-libgstapplemedia_la-plugin.o)
(architecture armv7):

    GStreamer(libgstapplemedia_a_armv7_-libgstapplemedia_la-vtutil.o)
(architecture armv7):

GStreamer(libgstapplemedia_a_armv7_-libgstapplemedia_la-coremediabuffer.o)
(architecture armv7):

    GStreamer(libgstapplemedia_a_armv7_-libgstapplemedia_la-dynapi.o)
(architecture armv7):

    GStreamer(libgstapplemedia_a_armv7_-libgstapplemedia_la-vtapi.o)
(architecture armv7):

    GStreamer(libgstapplemedia_a_armv7_-libgstapplemedia_la-iosassetsrc.o)
(architecture armv7):

    GStreamer(libgstapplemedia_a_armv7_-libgstapplemedia_la-avfvideosrc.o)
(architecture armv7):

    GStreamer(libgstapplemedia_a_armv7_-libgstapplemedia_la-avfassetsrc.o)
(architecture armv7):

    GStreamer(libgstapplemedia_a_armv7_-libgstapplemedia_la-coremediactx.o)
(architecture armv7):

Finding

-----------

1)  The above does not entail, libgstapplemedia_la-vtdec.o

2)  The  Makefile.am of gst-plugins-bad-1.4.3/sys/applemedia has following
code.

    if HAVE_VIDEOTOOLBOX

          libgstapplemedia_la_SOURCES +=  vtenc.c  vtdec.c

          libgstapplemedia_la_LDFLAGS += -Wl,-framework -Wl,VideoToolbox

    endif

QUESTION:

1) Having said the above understanding is correct [ please correct me if i
am wrong],

   where can i get the iOS GStreamer SDK library with hardware decoding
functions, which

   can be used in iOS8.

2) If not, Do we have to build GStreamer SDK on our own with the help of
Cerbero build system?

What other quirk i need to be aware of? Kindly suggest!!!.