C# Bindings: Initializing GStreamer

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu Oct 23 01:40:56 PDT 2014

On Mi, 2014-10-22 at 01:41 -0700, Ralph wrote:
> I'm using GStreamer 1.4.3 with C# Bindings on Windows.
>
> I found that there are two similarly named methods: *Gst.Init()* and
> *Gst.Initialize()*.  What's the difference between them?
>
> Anyway I have a problem with passing arguments to GStreamer.  There are two
> overloads: *Gst.Init()* and *Gst.Init(ref string[] argv)*.  While the first
> works reliably, the second throws AccessViolationException "Attempted to
> read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other
> memory is corrupt.".

Maybe the bindings don't expect gst_init() to change the argv that is
passed to it... and then later the CLR accesses invalid memory?

Best would be to report a bug about this at http://bugzilla.gnome.org
against GStreamer/gstreamer-sharp :)

> I need the second overload to pass the "--enable-gst-debug=yes" argument to
> enable debugging.
> Has anyone experienced similar problems?
> Is there any other method to enable debugging?

As a workaround for now you could just set an environment variable
before calling Gst.Init() (GST_DEBUG for example), or just call
gst_debug_set_default_threshold(GST_LEVEL_DEBUG) for example. There's
probably a variant of that function in the bindings too.