Frame Loss in mp4 stream

Prabhakar Lad prabhakar.csengg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 07:47:03 PDT 2014

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Thiago Santos <thiagoss at osg.samsung.com> wrote:
> On 09/10/2014 03:29 PM, Prabhakar Lad wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have the following pipeline:-
>>    gst_element_link_many (appvideosrc, videoqueue, vvalve, videoparse,
>> mux, filesink, NULL);
>>    gst_element_link_many (appaudiosrc, audioqueue, avalve, audioparse,
>> mux, NULL);
>>

>> initially the vvalve and avalve elements 'drop' property is set to
>> TRUE, on after an event I set the 'drop' to FALSE and the data is
>> written to filesink.
>>
>> I am observing that the there is a frame loss at this particular event
>> (when drop is set to false) in the video.
>
> Which event is this? Is this a gstreamer event that you are probing?

It is not a gstreamer event, I am having a global variable set on
event(key press)
so when this key press happens the 'valve' is set to drop as FALSE.

> And how are you detecting a frame was lost? Is it the first or one in the
> middle?

I am playing the video in VLC player at lower speeds. Its actually the
middle one.

>> NOTE:- both appsrc are live
>>
>> Any possible reasons why it looses the frames ? any possible solutions
>> to avoid this would be helpful.
>
> What version of gstreamer are you using?

gstreamer 1.0

> I'd start debugging by adding some debug entries to valve to check if it
> drops any buffers after setting the drop to false.

does sudden change in min-threshold-time (set 0) cause this ?

Initially when valve's drop property is set to TRUE the queue
properties are set to following,

"min-threshold-time=15000000000 min-threshold-buffers=0 min-threshold-bytes=0
max-size-bytes=0 max-size-buffers=0 max-size-time=15000000000"

And after the event valve's drop property is set to FALSE and queue
properties are set to following
"min-threshold-time=0"

Thanks,
--Prabhakar