device listing in version 1.4

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Fri Sep 12 02:30:54 PDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-09-12 at 11:04 +0200, Alicia Romero wrote:

Hi Alicia,

> In the version 1.4 of gstreamer was implemented a new API for listing
> devices.
>
> I would like to use it for getting a video device list from gstreamer.
>

> Could anyone give me a hint the steps to follow for doing that?

You could have a look at the gst-device-monitor-1.0 command line tool,
and see what it does for e.g.

 gst-device-monitor-1.0 Video/Source

or

 gst-device-monitor-1.0 Video

Code is here:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-base/tree/tools/gst-device-monitor.c

How well it will work on your system depends a bit on what you're
looking for, the API hasn't been implemented for all plugins yet, but it
should work on Linux with v4l2 and pulse at least.

 Cheers
  -Tim