ibva error: va_getDriverName() failed with operation failed,driver_name=i965, on a .wmv file

Sergei Vorobyov sergei.vorobyov at facilitylabs.com
Fri Sep 19 03:04:21 PDT 2014

Many thanks!

After installing

apt-get install i965-va-driver* libva-intel-vaapi-driver*

my NUCDN2820FYKH correctly found

libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0 and
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so

and started to smoothly play with vaapisink instead of autovideosink (with
the difference that the time overlay does not show up any more; text
overlay works OK)

But my Ubuntu 14.04 workstation with an nVidia card

reports failure:

libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/nouveau_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

and I could not find the latter .so library in any nouveau-related
packages. Does it mean that nVidia/nouveau do not support VAAPI? I earlier
experienced hang-ups with the nouveau driver and some people suggested that
it is a known issue with nouveau. What would be ideal, dream graphics cards
to support gstreamer?