GLib (gthread-posix.c): Unexpected error from C library during 'pthread_mutex_lock': Invalid argument. Aborting.

Sergei Vorobyov sergei.vorobyov at facilitylabs.com
Fri Sep 19 05:08:49 PDT 2014

Using

GStreamer 1.2.4 and GLib v2.40.0

I recently started to systematically get the following error:

GLib (gthread-posix.c): Unexpected error from C library during
'pthread_mutex_lock': Invalid argument.  Aborting.

[I preliminary guess it started when I switched from ximagesink to
vaapisink,
but this remains to be investigated]

That does not come from my code and looks like a programming error. Sure I
use a few threads, but those are initialized in the very beginning and run
as infinite loops, nothing fancy.

Apparently, it's a long-standing issue. There are many reports, but they
don't explain nor fix the issue.

Is it:

1. my misuse of GStreamer and GLib, or
2. GStreamer's misuse of GLib,