GLib (gthread-posix.c): Unexpected error from C library during 'pthread_mutex_lock': Invalid argument. Aborting.

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Sun Sep 21 06:40:54 PDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-09-19 at 14:08 +0200, Sergei Vorobyov wrote:

Hi,

> GStreamer 1.2.4 and GLib v2.40.0
> I recently started to systematically get the following error:

> GLib (gthread-posix.c): Unexpected error from C library during
> 'pthread_mutex_lock': Invalid argument.  Aborting.
>

> [I preliminary guess it started when I switched from ximagesink to
> vaapisink,
> but this remains to be investigated]
>

> That does not come from my code and looks like a programming error.
> Sure I use a few threads, but those are initialized in the very
> beginning and run as infinite loops, nothing fancy.

How do you know it's not from your code? It may be unlikely, but it
could also be some memory corruption caused by your code.

> Apparently, it's a long-standing issue. There are many reports, but
> they don't explain nor fix the issue.

It's the first time I hear about it. Many reports where? Is there a
report in bugzilla? If not, please file one, ideally with a stack trace
and if available also valgrind output (after installing libc, glib and
gst debugging symbols).

Cheers
 -Tim