Troubleshooting gst-launch freezes/hangs - how?

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Tue Aug 4 16:06:28 PDT 2015

On 05 Aug 2015, at 12:56 AM, Thiago Santos <thiagoss at osg.samsung.com> wrote:

> You can use GST_DEBUG to generate logs of the run, but a run of hours can generate a massively large dump. You can try to guess which elements are involved to not have to log everything. Something like:
>
> GST_DEBUG=2,*hls*:9,*mpeg*:9,GST_SCHEDULING:9 will give some information about the buffers flowing from pads to pads and also what the hls and mpeg elements are doing.

Alas, that’s generating about 3MB of logs every second. It’s a Pi, there is very little space available.

> Did you try running with gdb and checking where the threads are stuck exactly? Might be a good starting point, too.

Not yet - what will a stuck thread look like?

I am fairly sure what is causing the freeze - every time the freeze happens dvblast has reported discontinuities in the stream. What I can’t seem to work out is which part of the pipeline is dying. No warnings, no errors, the only way I know it’s frozen is there is no more hls fragments being created.

Regards,
Graham
—