How to parse the H264 data in gstbuffer?

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Sat Aug 8 05:23:30 PDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-08-07 at 21:54 -0700, san90 wrote:

Hi,

> Can someone let me know how to parse the data that that is available in
> gstbuffer? (  [const] guint8 *data = GST_BUFFER_DATA(buffer) ). Also if it
> is a H264 stream, how do I parse the data or play it?
> I am pretty new to GStreamer and video in general, so feel free to correct
> me if there is something wrong with this question.

What do you want to do exactly? What's the big picture? Why do you need
to parse the data?

If you want to play something, use the playbin element (playbin2 in
0.10).

If you want to decode something, use the (uri)decodebin element
(decodebin2/uridecodebin in 0.10)

Also, you seem to be using GStreamer 0.10 still, which is ancient and
has been unmaintained for years now. You should upgrade to GStreamer 1.x
if possible at all.

Cheers
 -Tim

Join us at the GStreamer Conference: 8-9 October 2015 in Dublin, Ireland