Internal data flow errors when receiving RTSP stream

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Thu Aug 13 12:32:04 PDT 2015

Wireshark will display both the source and destination addresses. Initially
the RTP/H264 packets will simply be listed as 'UDP'.

Set a display filter of 'rtsp' and apply. That will only display the RTSP
communication. Look through the packets and the data to learn what you can.
One packet from the camera will have an SDP. Look closely at that. After
the client sends a 'PLAY' command, the server will start sending the RTP
stream.

R-click on one of the UDP packets and choose 'decode as...' then RTP. If it
is a video packet, with will decode as RTP v 2 and the fields will not have
errors. If my suspicion is correct and you have 2 RTP streams, you will
have to do that twice. Under Edit/Preferences, drop down protocols and
H264. Set the payload type to '96' and 'OK'. That should interpret the RTP
packets as H264. Look at the source address for packets. You should only
see 1 address. If you can find 2, then you have your problem. Find the
'wrong' RTP source and stop it. You can learn a lot about RTP by looking at
Wireshark.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 2:32 PM, Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia <
guille.rodriguez at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Chuck,

> > I am not familiar with your camera and not overly familiar with RTP
> receive
> > in the GStreamer 1.0 series. However, I think that the best way to start
> > debugging this problem would be to get a packet capture. To me it looks
> like
> > you might be receiving 2 RTP streams, one current and one that never
> > shutdown previously. A packet capture would help you resolve that, and
> look
> > at the actual data stream. Beyond that you should enable logging on the
> RTSP
> > src element and the RTP depayloader. If you are using Linux, then 'export
> > GST_DEBUG=rtspsrc:5, rtph264depay:5' or something like that, the rtp
> > depayloader name may not be correct.
>
> Thank you, this is good advice. I am not familiar with the internals
> of RTP and RTSP, but I can have a look with Wireshark and compare to
> other cameras.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
> guille.rodriguez at gmail.com

Name
*Chuck Crisler*

Mutualink, Inc.
3 Lan Dr.
Westford, MA  01886

Direct: (978) 490-3006 <%28866%29%20957-5465> Ext: 118

E-Mail: ccrisler at mutualink.net <employeer at mutualink.net>

Web: www.mutualink.net

The information in this email, and subsequent attachments, may contain
confidential information that is
intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). This
message or any part thereof
must not be disclosed, copied, distributed or retained by any person
without authorization from the addressee.