Question about integrating proprietary h264 encoders in gstreamer

Carlos Rafael Giani dv at pseudoterminal.org
Tue Feb 3 04:35:55 PST 2015

Note that I am working on getting rid of the VPU wrapper for various
reasons. Other than that, I agree.

I would recommend to try and write a GStreamer encoder element, based on
the GstVideoEncoder class. This is generally simpler and less
complicated than the FIFO approach, especially for real-time encoding.
If this really is not possible for whatever reason, then a FIFO could
work. Be sure to use the h264parse element to group input data into
frames. Example: gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=/tmp/my-fifo !
h264parse ! matroskamux ! filesink location=encoded-video.mkv