Miracast playback support - proposal for a source element

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at intel.com
Wed Feb 4 06:10:28 PST 2015

Hello,

we (Intel's Open Source Technology Center, http://01.org ) are working
on an open source implementation of Miracast technology (which basically
replaces an HDMI cable with a wireless peer-to-peer link). Miracast is
supported by Android and Windows, and other display devices, but there
is no Linux stack yet.

Here's the code, it's work in progress, but we have a working demo for
both sides, and we're now doing interoperability testing with other
Miracast stacks:
https://github.com/01org/wysiwidi

As part of the project, we would like to implement a gstreamer source
element that will allow easy playback of miracast streams on the display
side:

gst-launch-1.0 playbin uri=miracast://source_ip:port

Establishing a media stream using Miracast consists of the following steps:

1) Scanning for available devices and establishing a peer-to-peer link
using Wi-Fi P2P mechanisms (there is no 'access point' involved; devices
discover and connect to each other directly). The element will not
handle this part; it's assumed that the application will do it using
available network management facilities on the system (such as connman,
wpa_supplicant, etc.). Connman already has support for this.

2) Negotiating the streaming parameters using RTSP with
miracast-specific extensions. The element will do this.

3) Accepting incoming stream using MPEGTS over RTP over UDP. The element
will do this too.

Is this ok? Would you be interested in carrying this element upstream in
gstreamer plugins?

Regards,
Alexander