imx6 / mainline linux / basic problems

Carlos Rafael Giani dv at pseudoterminal.org
Thu Feb 5 03:18:56 PST 2015

On 2015-02-05 11:26, Ian Molton wrote:

>>> Likewise - but its incredibly slow. Are you saying that its
>>> getting a good framerate in your case?
>>
>> The problem is the latter part - the videoconvert and fbdevsink. They
>> color-convert pixels and copy them to the framebuffer with the CPU.
>> Ideally, you'd want to pass the dmabuf FDs from the v4l decoder to
>> some sort of sink that can render frames directly from the FDs. I do
>> not know if such a thing exists for mainline.
>
> The thing is, the performance drop for *any* method of getting at the
> decoded data seems to be dramatic, even if I dont convert it further...
>
> If I use a filesink after v4l2video1dec (and my FS is on SATA) I see
> maybe 4 FPS. I can get 80MB/s plus out of my SATA drive, so it should
> be OK for this. not full speed, but not TOO abysmal...
>
> even to a tmpfs I see about the same framerate. Maybe 6FPS.
>
> -Ian

OK, this indeed is slow. What if you try this pipeline? gst-launch-1.0
filesrc location=/home/H264_test1_Talkinghead_mp4_480x360.mp4 ! qtdemux
! h264parse ! v4l2video1dec ! fakesink

Upon terminating, gst-launch prints how long the pipeline was running.
Compare this with the duration of the video. What results do you get?