use android binary omx codec

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com
Wed Feb 25 13:05:45 PST 2015

Le 2015-02-25 03:52, Aihua Zhao a écrit :
> Hi Experts:
> I'm trying to use android omx binary codec in some way, and noticed
> the implementation from Ubuntu and Jolla.
> Ubuntu touch:
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/gst-plugins-bad1.0
> Jolla: https://github.com/sailfishos/gst-omx

These are not completely specific to Ubuntu or Jolla, see:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-omx/
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-bad/

> from my understanding, Jolla uses omx binary directly
> by android_dlopen(); while Ubuntu touch uses the codec from android
> media codec service. both are in gstreamer world.

What Jolla people seems to try to add is android native buffers
extension support. This is probably a special feature of Android OMX
stack we don't support. OMX Always work by using dlopen() on libraries.

While I don't see what special in Ubuntu touch package. Seems like
androidmedia we have upstream. In which case it requires dalvik VM
running and implementing the right API.

One could consider integrating at StageFright level. I think there exist
some attempt you may find on the Web. So far, gst-omx for binary OMX
CODEC is probably your best bet. You will probably have to implement few
more quirks and maybe try extensions like Jolla is doing.

Nicolas