Gstreamer hardware decoder not working in android 5.0

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Jan 14 08:48:33 PST 2015

On Mo, 2015-01-12 at 22:43 -0800, Gokul Vellingiri wrote:
> I'm trying to stream video from camera source using udpsrc on my android
> mobile.I tried using hardware decoder from media_codec.xml file and the
> application working file.The above things i had tested with Kitkat updated
> mobile*(Android 4.4 version*).I had used the following pipeline for
> streaming in mobile:
>
> *data->pipeline = gst_parse_launch("udpsrc port=5000 ! application/x-rtp,
> clock-rate=90000, encoding-name=(string)H264, payload=96  !  rtpjitterbuffer
> ! queue ! rtph264depay ! h264parse  ! amcviddec-omxqcomvideodecoderavc !
> autovideosink ",&error);*
>
> When i tried with the same application in lolipop updated *mobile device(5.0
> version)*,there come the conflict.The application throws an error
> :*amcviddec-omxqcomvideodecoderavc-no element found*.

The element factory names are dynamic and might change between hardware
and software versions. You will have to either implement some kind of
autoplugging mechanism with the GstRegistry and GstElementFactory API,
or just use decodebin.

Independent of that it could of course also be that something in the
Lollipop upgrade broke something. To know that we would need to get a
GStreamer debug log, and also which GStreamer version are you using?

You can get a debug log with the relevant information by calling
gst_debug_set_threshold_from_string("2,amc*:6", TRUE)
somewhere in the very beginning of your application. Before
GStreamer.init() / gst_init() is called.