Hardware encoding on intel

Spruyt, Randy Randy.Spruyt at christiedigital.com
Fri Jan 30 07:46:35 PST 2015

Yes, i3,i5,i7 ivybridge and haswell, through the vaapi. There was a recent bug fix by intel ( earlier this week) that fixed a bug with the hardware scaler -> intel encoder caps negotiation, i.e.

vaapipostproc ! vaapiencode_h264

that no longer requires the use of a vaapisink. Note to use h264 encoding will need to use gstreamer-vaapi version 0.5.9+ which contains the vaapiencode_h264 element.

Currently I am seeing an issue with Ubuntu 14.04 locking up completely (all machines I've tried) after a period of time, in particular when pushing QuickSync hard (i.e. 7+ video decode), if you see the same issue, please let me know.